Unfortunately, grandma’s recipe isn’t on the keto diet, so I decided to look for something similar that was still as hearty but didn’t destroy the Keto way of eating. This cauliflower mac and cheese recipe is one of the closest I could find that matched in style, thickness and of course cheesy goodness.
· 1 head cauliflower
· 3 tablespoons salted butter
· 1 cup heavy cream to taste
· 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
· 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
· kosher salt to taste
· 1-2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (Bob’s Red Mill is good) or 1/4-1/2 tsp konjac
· 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded (sharp!) cheddar cheese or a mix of gruyere & cheddar
1. Break up the cauliflower head into bite-sized florets and set aside.
2. Add butter to a Dutch oven or pot over medium/low heat and cook, stirring every so often, until fully browned (4-6 minutes). Add heavy cream, mustard, garlic powder, black pepper, a generous pinch of salt and stir until combined. Add in the cauliflower bites, stir until evenly coated, cover with lid and simmer until softened but still retain a bite (10-15 minutes). Feel free to add a little extra salt now, keeping in mind you’ll be adding the cheese still.
3. Make an arrowroot or konjac powder slurry (i.e. mix the powder with a couple tablespoons of cold water). Add it to the cauliflower mixture and stir until thickened (I’ve noticed various brands behave a little different, so just add it little by little to taste). Add in the cheese, stir until melted and serve right away!
More recipes at: